Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Farming! - Quiet Book pages 2 & 3

Hi folks! Thanks for tuning in for the second day of quiet book pages. Yesterday was the lion, and today is the farm page!


I, like everyone else on the internet, got this idea from Homemade by Jill. There's a couple different versions I've found and pinned on my pinterest quiet book board, and took my favorite things from each of them and combined them.



 When you open up the barn doors, you find...


farm animal finger puppets! And you can take them out and play with them on the next page.


I used part of Jill's template to make the barn, and partly I just winged it. The grassy farm page next to the barn was my idea; I wanted children to have room to play with the finger puppets. I also just made my own finger puppet templates, going off of the finger puppets found on Jill's website, and here, and here. Again, I made my own little changes to make them just how I wanted them. I was a bit worried the barn doors wouldn't stay closed when the finger puppets were stowed in their pocket, but Jason had the genius idea of putting a little latch on the front of the doors that buttons closed. So they're all safe and secure.

And that's the farm! Tune in tomorrow for more quiet book pages. :)


To download the free Farm Page quiet book template, complete with Farm Animal Finger puppets, click here or on one of the pictures:



To download just the free Farm Animal Finger Puppets template, click here or on the picture:



To download the entire Quiet Book template, click here or on the picture:



Here are links to the other quiet book pages:

The Lion (Texture) Page








26 comments:

  1. aahhh! So good! I wish I was crafty enough to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Would be perfect for my friends with small children and for my grandson! Thanks so much for the ideas and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Your book has such clean lines. I am going to make my first attempt at creating one and I am wondering how or what you use to trace the templates on the felt? Thank you so much again for sharing your book with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you. :) What I did was draw the shapes on pieces of paper, cut out the paper, pin the paper to the felt, and then cut out the shape. Good luck with making your book!

      Delete
  4. I think this barn idea is the best one I've found. Only question is, all the details on the animals, did you glue or sew the pieces on? Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) For all the animal details, I sewed them on. :)

      Delete
  5. Love your book! I was just cutting out the pieces and was wondering if the chickens tail was white and how did you sew it on? Do you show pictures of the back of the puppet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and thank you! The chicken's tail IS white, and I sewed it on by hand before I sewed the two body pieces together. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the back of the puppets!

      Delete
  6. Hello, What did you use for the eyes of the animals?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, this is my first attempt at a quiet page and these are so cute. I'm working on a book for a road trip this summer. My question is...did you really double layer everything? And if so did you have any trouble getting all those layers of felt through your machine? I'm thinking especially of the parts where the x's cross on the barn doors (that would be six layers of felt + sewing it on the actual page itself, right?) and the places where the grass/barn/fence/x's are all sewed down to the page. I feel like I'm doing this wrong because it seems like that is going to be way too thick, but it doesn't look that thick on your page. Thanks for any tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (sorry for the double post, I thought google at the first reply I made, so I typed it again!)

      Delete
    2. No problem! :)

      To answer your question, no, I didn't double layer everything. I only double layered the removable parts of the quiet book - like the flowers, or the Mr. Potato Head accessories, or the dinosaur spots. Just the things that aren't attached to the page. The things that I sewed onto the page - like the barn or the sun or the lion - are only one layer. Does that make sense?

      Sorry for the confusion!

      Delete
    3. Just to be clear (in case I'm still not explaining myself well) - the doors and the x's and the grass - everything sewn directly onto the page or sewn onto something sewn onto the page - are all one layer. Only things completely detached from the page are two layers.

      Delete
  8. I love your books!!! I was wondering if you use xtra firm pellon interfacing in between your pages? If so which one. They have a double sided sticky one or a thick one. I dont know what to use. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I didn't use pellon in between my pages in this book, although I did use them as the pages (instead of felt) in another book. If you want your pages to be really firm, I'd use the thick one. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing your patterns. I made several of these for such a wonderful cause http://www.crafthope.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats for your pretty job!
    Could you please explain how you do the pages of the book!? Do you prepare them first of all!? Do you sew all the pages after or before!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! How I did it was I planned out the pages I wanted, cut the shapes out of felt, and sewed the felt shapes onto the felt pages. Then I sewed the pages back-to-back. I then made three holes in the side of each page so I could put binder rings through to hold all the pages together. So yes, I prepared all of the pages first, before putting the whole book together. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi, I was just wondering how you sewed the bodies of the puppets together. Did you sew them inside out or just around the edges right side out?
    Also, I avsolutely love how organized your templates are. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I just sewed around the edges right side out.

      Delete
  12. Hi, thank you for the wonderful template. We sewed the finger puppets by hand during our holiday.
    May I post a link to your template in my blog (lovefoxes.blogspot.de)?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I was just wondering what size paper did you print this on? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.