Friday, October 14, 2016

The Fuzzy Caterpillar of Doom

So apparently fuzzy caterpillars can really hurt you. Who knew?

Zelda spotted this one this summer, in a town close to us in North Carolina:


She wanted to pet it (naturally), but I told her to wait until I googled it on my phone because I vaguely recalled reading some random article on facebook years before about poisonous fuzzy caterpillars.

It turns out that this is the most toxic caterpillar in the United States and touching it could have sent either of us to the emergency room. One of the names it goes by is "asp" (like a snake) caterpillar. There's a National Geographic article about them here: Toxic "Toupee": Explaining the Most Venomous Caterpillar in the United States. The article I read a long time ago was probably this one: 8 of the Cutest Toxic Caterpillars. Don't touch any of these caterpillars, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.