Friday, October 16, 2015

Family Farm and Pumpkin Patch - Captain's Log, Week 286

A stack of flowers Ellie gave me.

What the girls said this week

Ellie took the salt shaker and was playing with it on the couch. After a couple minutes she took the lid off, and the salt spilt all over the cushion. Right after that - Ellie: "Um, Mom, I made a mess, but I forgive you. I made a mess, but I forgive you."

Ellie scratched her leg while we were playing outside, so I brought the box of bandaids out to her and she put one on. Then she brought me the bandaid wrappers and handed them to me. I set them on the grass next to me, but then on second thought I tried to hand them back to her.
Me: "Ellie, can you throw these in the trash for me?"
Ellie, looking thoughtfully at the wrappers on the grass, which were moving a little bit in the wind: "Just let it blow away."

What we did this week

We had several really fun days this week. Like I mentioned in our last Captain's Log, it was pretty rainy for days and days and days up until the middle of last week. On Friday we took advantage of the good weather and went to Naylor Family Farms and Pumpkin Patch. (And it was good we went that day, because Saturday was cold and rainy again!)

We went to Naylor Farms last year and loved it, and we had a blast again this year!  We started with the animals by feeding the goats (and cows, which were HUGE), chasing the chickens around trying to catch one (that was all Zelda), and looking at the pig, calf, and horse (which a little girl informed me was named Michael, and her mom whispered to me that no, it wasn't, her daughter named everything Michael).


Then we took a hay ride over to the pumpkin patch (through the woods, behind the corn maze).


They have some "spooky" stuff as the hay ride goes through the woods, like a big furry spider that drops down on the tractor and a ghost that swoops overhead. It's really mild, and Ellie loved it. Zelda did not like it.


Ellie and Zelda got to choose pumpkins at the pumpkin patch.


After looking,

and looking,


and looking,


Ellie found one.


Ellie had a pretty sweet set up on the way back. Even though the trailer was full of people, since she was in the front corner she had enough space to face forward and watch where we were going through the slats.


When we got back to the main part of the farm, the girls went on a barrel ride. (Zelda only lasted a minute before we pulled her off, but Ellie went all around and around with the rest of the kids.)


Then we did the jump pad:


And the sand tower:


And the corn maze!


Next we played in the "corn crib," a little wooden building absolutely full of loose corn. I love that room! It feels so nice to sit in.


Apparently I'm not the only one who think the corn feels strangely relaxing. Zelda kept lying down in it (and told me to lie down too), and then told me she wanted her blankie. 


 After the corn crib we all went on the big slide and then Zelda went on the swing:


While Ellie went down the big slide several more times:


Our last activity of the night was jumping on the jump pad again:


By then end, we were pooped:


We went home and had dinner and then the girls went to bed.

So that was Friday; Saturday was wet and rainy, Sunday we went to church and had a practice for the primary program (Ellie was great at saying her line, but had a reaaaaalllly hard time sitting in her chair), I honestly don't remember what we did on Monday and Tuesday other than I know Jason worked on his paper for school and rebuilt this little path in the backyard, and then Wednesday was my birthday!

My birthday was such a nice day. We drove up to Barnes and Noble in the morning, and Jason watched the girls in the kid section while I got to walk all around and get ideas of books I want to read. Afterwards we went to this yummy Mediterranean food place close by, and then came home. I spent most of the rest of the day reading, while Jason and Ellie made a lemon cake and then read outside in the grass while the girls played and Jason restored our headlights.


Here's a before and after of our headlights; Jason used a "headlight restoration kit" to do it and they look amazing now! Like new!


And that was our week! I hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.