Friday, April 3, 2015

Walk in the woods - Captain's Log, Week 258

According to Ellie, this is Daddy Robot (blue), Mommy Robot (red), and Ellie Robot (yellow)

What the girls said this week

Ellie got a scrape on her elbow, and she kept showing it to me and telling me, "My arm is broken a little bit."

We had the first incidence of name calling among our children. Ellie was trying to get Zelda to come look at something she was doing, but Zelda was busy doing something else. Frustrated, Ellie said, "Zelda, you're a stinker."

Ellie: "Mom, do you see these scissors? They're sharp. They're sharp and they cut people's fingers off. So just don't cut your fingers."

Ellie was using her scissors to "cut" the air, and told me "The air is a half part now."

Ellie was looking for a tiny little toy bunny that she has, named "Baby bunny." I was trying to see if she remembered where she had last played with it, so I asked her "Do you have a clue?" (She knows that clues help solve mysteries.) She thought for probably a whole minute, then told me seriously, "He's shaped like a bunny."


Things you should check out

First of all, check out these two links. The first is a post I wrote this week called "The NC 'Home Birth Freedom Act' Supports Midwives at the Expense of Mothers and Babies." In a nutshell - there are two bills going through the NC Senate right now that would legalize a dangerously uneducated class of midwives. This will raise the death rates of newborns in the state, as it has in other states where it's happened. We should stop it.

On a happier note, this link is called "I Followed My Stolen iPhone Across The World, Became A Celebrity In China, And Found A Friend For Life." It is awesome. I laughed out loud multiple times while reading it, and the whole thing just makes me happy.

And lastly, General Conference is this weekend! This is a big semi-annual meeting where everyone in our whole church across the world, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, tunes in to listen to our leaders. You can easily check it out live on the internet, on this page: General Conference - Watch Live. They already had the first session last Saturday night, the General Women's Session, and it was great! It focused on families and how we can strengthen our own family. If you get a chance, check it out this weekend! It would be a great thing to tune into on Easter Sunday.


What we did this week

Last Saturday our church congregation had an Easter egg hunt for the kids. They had a spot for tiny kids, like Zelda, with eggs just bunched together on the grass, and a spot for the bigger kids where the eggs were a lot more spread out and semi-hidden (Ellie did that one). Both girls had a lot of fun.


On Wednesday the girls, Jason, and I took a walk down into the woods that surround our street. We went farther down this one path than we have before, and it was really beautiful and fun.


 Jason poking an ant hill:

The picture below doesn't do the place we were justice. I wish I had a wider lens for my camera with me, so  you could see the cool woods on either side of us. Also, you've probably noticed that Ellie was wearing socks on her hands for this whole thing. Because...because.


On the way back, I found this really long, skinny, straight stick. Zelda wanted it, so I gave it to her. Then she rode on Jason's shoulders and kept trying to hit me with it. I ran, and they would chase me, and she thought it was really funny.


Ellie was excited to play in all of the puddles and ponds the whole time. This one was close to home.


Meanwhile, Zelda found a fun sewer grate thing:


On our walk home, Zelda lay down on this big pile of rocks. That looks comfortable.


Also on our way home, we found this little fallen tree covered in this cool, weird fungus:


Then yesterday, I pulled out my old mac computer, Ellie rediscovered the "Photo Booth" app, and had me take about 200 pictures of her while we watched "Tangled" twice in a row.

"Take a picture of my arm, Mom!"

I hope you have a great weekend, and a Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.