Friday, March 20, 2015

All about the girls - Captain's Log, Week 256


What the girls said this week

Ellie, pointing to her underwear - "These are for daytime." Pointing to her pullups - "And these are for night time." Picking up one of Zelda's diapers - "Are these for night time?"
Me: "Those are for all the time, because Zelda doesn't know how to use a toilet. She's never gone pee in the toilet. Should we teach her how to do that?"
Ellie, excited: "I'll teach her!" Runs in to me and Jason's bedroom, where Zelda is. "Zelda, you go pee and poo in the toilet right now." Comes back to me. "I teached her how to go pee and poo in the toilet."

One day when we were in the backyard after it rained, Ellie picked up her bucket and saw that there was water in it. Ellie: "I have water! Heavenly Father got water in here." 

Ellie: "Mom, I very like you." (Awwww. :))

Ellie: "Mom, I'm out of these stickers again. This is a disakter!"


The girls

There's so much about the girls I want to tell you right now, I don't know where to begin.

Ellie, wearing my clothes to go outside in the rain.


"Wild Kratts" is still Ellie's favorite show. She still calls it "Creature Powers" most of the time. Zelda loves it too, and calls it "Wai wai wai" (from the opening song, which says "Wild wild wild Kratts, Wild wild wild Kratts." Zelda will sometimes come up to me and point at the TV, and say "Show?" and then hand me the remote and start saying "Wai wai wai."

Ellie's been telling me stories lately. She'll stand next to me and just ramble on and on, telling me some make believe story involving her and either people she knows or her favorite characters from the shows she watches. A lot of Ellie's make believe involves playing with the characters Chris and Martin from Wild Kratts. She pretends that they're really tiny, and talks to them and they talk to her and then she'll run around the house having adventures with them and using "creature powers."

One day this week, right before bedtime, Ellie got a glue stick and glued the bottom of her feet, and then tried to climb up the wall because she had "gecko powers." The glue, according to her, was her "toe pads." About ten minutes later, we found her with the glue stick again. This time she had rubbed a ton of glue off on the wall in two spots, and was lying down and putting her feet up to those spots.

That reminds me of another little thing from a couple weeks ago. Ellie had a glue stick then, too, and she glued two "googly eyes" and some little poofballs on the hall wall to make a smiley face. Then she was saying that the house had a face.

This week Ellie also scratched her elbow on something, and for the last couple days she keeps showing me her elbow and telling me that "I broke my arm a little."

And speaking of her arms, she keeps getting toilet paper rolls, putting two on each arm, and then walks around calling herself Robot Ellie and those are her robot arms. (She also painted a picture of a "robot princess castle" this week.) And at bedtime, after she brushes her own teeth, she likes "Robot Mommy" to finish brushing them for her. I started that like a month ago when I was trying to get her to let me brush her teeth, and she liked it so much that she insists on doing it almost every night. I just have to talk in a robot voice while I brush - and she lets me get all her teeth. It's great!


Zelda - oh, Zelda. She is really entering into the "terrible twos" stage. (She's sixteen months old - this is when Ellie started it, too.) The words we seem to hear the most from her are "no," "my," and "mine." Last night she was reading a book at bedtime, and I told her, "It's time for prayer, Zelda." Usually, she immediately folds her arms. But last night, she told me, "No!" I looked at Jason. We were both kind of surprised, since she usually likes prayers so much. "It's prayertime, Zelda." I said again. "No!" she answered. "Zelda, it's time for prayer." This time she flopped herself sideways out of my lap and yelled "No! Donwanto!" Jason and I laughed and were again surprised - we didn't know she knew the phrase "don't want to." We said the prayer with Ellie and tried again a few minutes later with Zelda, and she was back to her usual prayer-loving self. She even made us say like three prayers. So that give you an example of how contrary she's being at times.

She's repeating and saying so many words that it's hard to keep track, but some of the longer phrases she's said this week are "get down," "don't want to," and "this daddy's shoe."

One time this week I put Zelda down for a nap in her room. When she woke up a few hours later and I went to go get her, I opened the door to find Cat sleeping on Ellie's bed. (Cat's our neighbor's cat that we have over all the time.) I didn't realize I'd shut him in there with her at naptime. Whoops! But he was content.

Later that same day I was putting clothes away in Ellie and Zelda's bedroom with Ellie. While I was putting clothes away, Zelda went somewhere else in the house. It was nice outside, and so I got some clothes to dress the girls in so we could play outside. At this point I noticed that I hadn't heard Zelda for like five minutes - she was being too quiet. I walked out to the family room - she wasn't there. I walked into the dining room, and saw that the laundry room door was open and Zelda was gone! We almost always have the chain locked at the top of the door, but it wasn't on that day and she'd gotten out. "Zelda!" I yelled, running outside. "Awdabada?" I heard her little voice from somewhere in the side yard. She was in grassy dirt and trees between our house and the neighbor's, barefoot, surrounded by those pokey balls that fall from trees. She put her arms up for me to pick her up, and I got her and brought her back inside. Aaaah! That's the first time she's ever escaped.

It's been really warm most of this week, and we've played outside almost every day. A few times Ellie and Zelda have gotten in the wagon and I've pulled them up the street to our stop sign and back. Both times that we've done this they've played this game with each other and me where Ellie will yell "Stop!" and I'll stop, and Zelda will say, "Go!" and I'll go, and they'll both giggle and do it over and over again.

Ellie swinging in the hammock.

Also, Zelda likes the number 9. When I'm counting with her, it's the only number she ever says. And one day this week she was on my lap and I was looking at a magazine, and she pointed to the number 9 on a page and said "9!" So somehow she knows what it looks like, too.

Whew! I know that was a lot but I want to remember all of it in the future.


What we did this week

Jason made a great potty chart for Ellie. Ellie already goes to the potty consistently, the problem lately has been that she expects a treat after every single time she goes. To remedy that, Jason made this cool chart that has stars every five spaces. Every time Ellie goes to the potty, she gets to put a sticker on the chart. And every time she lands on a star (so, every five potty trips), she gets a treat. Ellie loves it, and it's really cut down on the treats she's been getting.


We've also had a couple holidays this week! We had Pi Day last Saturday, which was fun. Jason and I ate some pie at night. On Sunday we had some friends from church over, and we had chicken pot pie (not planned for Pi Day, but it felt like we were continuing the celebration) and finished off the Pi Day desert pies.

Then Tuesday was St. Patrick's Day. Some time during the day Ellie asked for water, and I pulled out a glass and (without her seeing) put a drop of food coloring at the bottom. Then I poured water into the glass, and she was amazed that it was turning green as I poured. I told her it was because it was St. Patrick's day, and then for the rest of the day she kept expecting food to magically turn green when she touched it. Whoops, haha! I did do it again with their apple sauce; I put a drop of food coloring on their spoon without them looking and then stirred it in front of them, so to them it looked like it was magic.


Later for dinner we had green macaroni and cheese, a green salad, and then green cupcakes for desert.


This week Jason also got our garden started. We're mostly doing it in pots this year, up on our deck. He got three tomato plants, a strawberry plant, a parsley plant, a basil plant, and two lavender plants. Here are some pictures of the girls playing out in the rain yesterday, where you can see the plants (and the girls having fun):


And as for what I've been up to this week, I painted the trim in the bathroom, repainted the ceiling, and painted the walls. So our bathroom's all done! And I've been making (and am almost finished with) our "2013 part 2" photobook. 

Here's a video of two adorable girls to cap this whole thing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.