Monday, January 5, 2015

My Resolutions for 2015

Us ten years ago, in January 2005

Happy New Year!

I've been thinking for the last few weeks what I'd like to do for my 2015 resolutions. I really like making New Year's Resolutions. I always have such motivation in January and really focusing on them now can help me get on a good trajectory for the whole year, even if I forget the finer details after a couple months.

My resolutions this year fit into a couple different categories. Here they are!

Health:
Walk 10,000 steps every day
Eat at least one piece of fruit every day
Floss every day

Spiritual:
Study the scriptures every day
Make my prayers more meaningful
Read the whole Ensign every month
Go to the temple quarterly

Social:
Call my friends regularly
Have someone over for dinner once a month

Bad habits to break:
Reduce internet usage
Stop chewing nails

Parenting:
Do "music time" at home a couple times a week with the girls
Go to library story time twice a month

Some of them I'm kind of embarrassed revealing - like "eat at least one piece of fruit every day." I know that's a low standard, and it's one I wasn't even hitting until this week when I made this goal! I'm pretty good about eating enough vegetables, but I just don't really eat a lot of fruit. So I'm trying to change that. So far, so good, even if I had to wolf down a cup of mandarin oranges the other night right before bedtime because I only remembered just then, haha.

One resolution I thought about making but decided not to was "respond more quickly to people's voicemails, texts, and emails." It's something I need to do, definitely, but it's really not as simple as making a New Year's Resolution to do it. You might remember that I've mentioned before that I have some problems with anxiety, and for a long time the way it's manifested in my life is anxiety surrounding those forms of communication. Responding to emails, voicemails, and texts is a real mental struggle for me, and I often need help or encouragement from Jason to do it. It's really bad - I often don't respond for weeks. I feel guilty, and I'm always worried that I'm offending people. But making a resolution to respond more quickly would pretty much be like saying, "Get rid of your anxiety!" It's just not that simple. So I'm working on it, as I have been, but it's not a resolution. It's just something I'm continually wrestling with.

Um...and I may have just chewed off my thumbnail while thinking about that. Lol. Guess that's why "stop chewing my nails" is on the resolution list.

Anyway, they're all mostly pretty self explanatory! I'm really excited about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.