Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year! - Captain's Log, Week 245

Ellie 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
What the girls said this week

Ellie, doing crafts with Nana: "My blankie's gonna sit on that chair."

Ellie runs into the room Jason and I are in and jumps on to my lap.
Ellie: "There's a monster! I'm scared because there's a monster!"
Me: "Oh no!"
Zelda toddles in.
Ellie, pointing at Zelda: "Monster!!"

Ellie's mispronunciations: "This one smells like sminon." (cinnamon)

New words Zelda said: "Turtle" (She said in multiple times, about a turtle in the bathtub, and it really sounded like "turtle!"), "Papa" for Papa (Jason's dad), and "Gaga" or "Gapa" for Grandpa (my dad)


What we did this week 

Our last Captain's Log ended last Saturday morning, right after Tiffany's family left to start their drive home. A couple hours later, Emily came over to play all day! Ellie was so happy. They really love each other and have so much fun together.

In addition to playing lots of other things, they enjoyed playing with all of Nana's playdough:


Meanwhile, Zelda was playing with balloons:


And Ellie was sneaking licks of the playdough:


They had a lot of fun together and I'm so glad Ellie got some extra Emily play time. Later that day, we went to Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor to have dinner with my Dad and all my family on that side. It was so fun! I'm going to admit that I skipped getting an entree entirely and went right to dessert. I had "ice cream nachos," and they were delicious. We got to hang out with my grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins, and it was great. And the girls loved getting some more Grandpa time.


On Sunday we went to church, and then came back and hung out at the house all day. Sarah and Tyler came over for dinner, so we got to see them more. The missionaries also came to dinner, and one of them knew my dad! He had served in his ward a couple months ago. Kind of funny.  Jason's grandparents also stopped by, and we got a "four generation picture:"


Oh! And I forgot to put this in last week's Captain's Log, but it's so funny I can't leave it out. All of the cousins made sticker nativity pictures at Nana's house. This one's Ellie's, she decorated it entirely by herself:


The camel on the roof is my favorite.

On Monday we hung out at the house some more, then went and had lunch with my dad at the mall by his office. After we ate, he took us to where they're moving their office, in Irvine. It's really nice! It'll be a great office.

The rest of that day we just packed and got ready for our trip on Tuesday.

On Tuesday we woke up dark and early (like 5 in the morning), got ready, and left for the airport at 5:30. It took an hour to get there, and once we did we did the whole check in/security line routine and got to our terminal. We boarded the plane and then took off at about 8:10 in the morning. It was a 4 1/2 hour flight, plus we gained three hours flying east, so we landed about 4 in the afternoon. (Same as the first flight, Ellie was pretty good and Zelda was pretty unhappy the whole time.) We got our bags (Ellie made friends at the bag pickup with a little girl named Iman, who had a pink Mickey Mouse balloon), Jason got our car, we stopped at Trader Joe's for some groceries and picked up some BBQ at our favorite place that's right there, and then came home!

It's nice to be home. I think we were in California for the perfect amount of time. We got to see lots of our family, and then once everyone went back to work we came home. Plus, after living in North Carolina for six months, California has never felt more crowded  to me. Seriously, so many people and buildings everywhere! It's kind of claustrophobic. Once we landed in North Carolina and we were driving through the trees I felt like I could breathe again.

The last couple days we've spent playing at home.


Jason and I had a two-person New Year's Eve "party" here at home. We filled in some "Things I want to do this year" charts, played games, read funny poems from an old poetry book, watched shows, and watched fireworks on TV. It was fun! And I've been working on all my New Year's Resolutions that last couple days. 

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.