Monday, December 29, 2014

1,184,269 Steps


Since Friday, September 5, I have walked 1,184,269 steps. That's an average of about 10,400 steps a day.

One of my resolutions this year was to "exercise more." During the first part of the year I exercised at our apartment complex's little gym three times a week for several months. I mostly did the elliptical, and once in a while the stationary bike. It was fun and I found out that I actually liked it (especially when listening to my "Pop Fitness" Pandora playlist, haha). But then April happened - we had family in town all month and our regular schedules got thrown way off. And then we were getting ready to move to North Carolina and with all of that preparation I just didn't get back on track before we left.

Finally, once we were settled and Jason had been in classes for a couple weeks, I really wanted to start exercising again. I set the goal to get at least 10,000 steps every day. I started on September 5, and I've been able to get that every day since then.

I usually get around 6 or 7 thousand steps just doing my normal daily thing, and then I have 3 or 4 thousand extra steps to get each night. To get those steps I put in my earphones, listen to my exercise music Pandora playlist, and walk in big circles in our house. It's about 30 or 40 minutes of walking a night, on average. I usually read blogs or news on my phone as I walk.

The two biggest things that have helped me work on this goal are my pedometer (I have a fitbit force that I got for Christmas last year) and the upbeat music I listen to on my phone as I walk. And one of the blogs I've found and really like to read while walking is called "Runs for Cookies," which is written by a woman named Katie who lost a bunch of weight through running and now keeps it off by continuing to run. I'm not a runner, not at all, but I love reading her blog. She's funny and down to earth, and it helps motivate me to try to be healthier.

Anyway, that's something I've been doing for the last couple months, and plan to continue doing this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.