Friday, April 4, 2014

Captain's Log, Week 206


Hi everyone! I hope you had a good week.

To kick off this Captain's Log, I wanted to let you know that General Conference is this weekend! General Conference is a big, semi-annual meeting our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) has, where we hear talks and messages from our leaders. I love general conference. I always find it extremely uplifting and edifying. I always feel more hopeful and strengthened after I listen to it. If you'd like to check it out, just click here. Conference will stream live on that page. There are five sessions to watch this weekend - Saturday morning (9-11 am PDT), Saturday afternoon (1-3 pm PDT), Priesthood session (5-7 pm PDT), Sunday morning (9-11 am PDT), and Sunday afternoon (1-3 pm). If you want to see what it's like, just check back in during one of those times to watch it, or watch the archives afterward!

(Here's a video about what General Conference is all about.)



What Ellie said this week

We're brushing Ellie's teeth in the bathroom. She walks out of the bathroom with her mouth still full of toothpaste bubbles.
Jason: "Hang on Ellie, hang on! Let's spit!"
Ellie: starts spitting everywhere
Jason: "In the sink!"

At bedtime.
Ellie: "Daddy got me a bottle. It has a bunch of water."

Ellie: "Where's the baby?"
Me: "What baby?" I hold up her doll. "This baby?"
Ellie: "No no no."
Me, holding up two more of her dolls: "This baby? Or this baby?"
Ellie: "No no no no!"
Jason: "Do you mean Zelda baby?"
Ellie: "Yes! Where is Zelda baby?"

Ellie: "I want to hold you!" (This is what she says when she wants one of us to pick her up.)

Ellie: (In Zelda's face) "Hahaha!" (Looks at us) "I'm laughing!"

Ellie: "I love you too, Zelda. I love you too." (She tells her this all the time.)

Ellie, hugging Zelda: "I love her sister."

What we did this week

Where to start with this week? Well, we had the earthquakes all last weekend. Then Zelda developed a cough last Thursday which turned into a cough and congestion on Saturday which turned into multiple nights of lost sleep for all of us which turned into Ellie having a wheezy cough which turned into us at the doctor's office two days ago and Zelda getting diagnosed with an ear infection and Ellie with croup. (Zelda probably has croup in addition to the ear infection; it's probably what led to the infection.)

Jason and I have been sick too (cough, sore throat + congestion) and we've really just been trying to make it through the week. It's kind of a bummer, too, because Jason had this week off (vacation days, not sick days), and we've pretty much just been taking care of sick girls the whole time!

Even with being sick, though, we've been able to do a couple things. We went to Yorba Regional Park on Monday:


Tuesday was April Fool's Day, and everything in our fridge got googly eyes:


We had toddler time at the library with Ellie this day. It's a little half-hour thing where they sing songs and read stories. There were a lot of people there, though, and it made Ellie kind of nervous. I think/hope it will be better for her next week.

We also went to Newport Beach and hung out with our friend Sara. We fed crackers to the pigeons and seagulls, which Ellie absolutely loved. (Also, one of the gulls was a Heermann's Gull. I've never seen one since I became a bird nerd, so that was cool.) Zelda mostly played with the sand toys. It was a little breezy, cold enough that we didn't really hang out in our swimsuits - we kept our shirts and stuff on over them. Ellie insisted on even wearing her coat (she was having kind of a rough day - this was the day she came down sick, before we realized she was sick).

This is Zelda's model pose. She does this all the time.
On Wednesday my brother got here!!!!! He and his wife Nan and their son Max flew in from Thailand. This is the first time we've gotten to see him for over two years! :D We hung out on Wednesday at my dad's house and then yesterday we went to Irvine Park and road the little train. (On Wednesday we also had dinner at Jason's parent's house - white chicken chili. Mmmmm. And then last night we had roast beef at my parents' house. Mmmmm.)

This is Max: 


He is so cute. I wish I had the pictures from the other camera so I could show you his adorable smile.

And here we are at Irvine Park:


We took more pictures, but they're on my dad's camera. I'll get them sometime soon. :)

Today we pretty much just took it easy and had a sick day. Jason took Ellie to the park and to visit his mom at her school/work (she's a teacher).

And last but certainly not least, Zelda is almost crawling. Here's a video of her doing what she can do:


This is earlier than Ellie crawled. Ellie crawled at about 6 1/2 months. Zelda just turned five months yesterday. I'm sure it's because Zelda loves tummy time, and has since the beginning. Ellie hated tummy time until she could roll over. Since Zelda loves it so much, she's almost always on her tummy and so has been developing all of her strong arm and neck and back muscles for a while.

And here's a couple extra cute videos of Ellie and Zelda:




I hope you have a good weekend! Check out General Conference if you can!

2 comments:

  1. sorry you've all been sick! that's no fun. I LOVE the googly eyes!!! And as always, your girls are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you record what your toddler says in your captain logs! She's going to LOVE reading through that someday :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.