Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Resolutions for 2014

Happy New Year!


My 2014 resolutions are pretty simple. This year I want to:

  • Read more
  • Exercise more
  • Use the internet less
  • Immerse myself in the gospel

Read more: Like I said - pretty simple. I want to read more books this year than I did last year. I love reading, but I've been letting other things get in my way. Especially my biggest time waster - the internet. Which leads to...

Use the internet less: I'm on my computer too much. Sometime's it's doing something productive, like blogging about our family, but a great deal of the time it's just me wasting time - reading random news articles or funny stories or looking at funny pictures - and it's all pointless. And it sucks up my time and I accomplish nothing. So that's got to stop. This January is a "no internet" month for me. I can go on Blogger to blog and to read friends' blogs, and I can go on a Facebook to post about our blog (but not to scroll down and look at the entire newsfeed), and I can email, and that's it. No other sites. I hope that this will break me of my bad habit of mindlessly wasting time on the internet, and that when I reintroduce it next month I will be able to use it in much more moderation.

Exercise more: I got the go-ahead at my postpartum checkup a couple weeks ago to begin exercising again, and I'm excited to actually do this. In the week after my appointment I went and worked out three times at our apartment complex's little gym room, and I actually really enjoyed it (greatly surprising myself, I can assure you). Then the next week we all got sick with norovirus, and then after the norovirus I had a five-day headache (I don't know what that was about) and some kind of cold. But I finally think I'm (mostly) better, and want to start again. My goal this year is to work out at least three times a week, or thirteen times a month (which might seem like a random number, but it's not - 52 weeks times 3 is 156, divided by 12 months equals 13. So, depending on how I want to keep track, 3 times a week or 13 times a month.).

Immerse myself in the gospel: Last year I was better than the year before about consistent scripture study, but I can still do better and I want to tackle that this year. I have a goal to read the entire Book of Mormon this first month of the year, in January. Then I want to read at least one chapter of scripture (Book of Mormon, D&C, New Testament, or Old Testament) every day the rest of the year.

In addition, I want to read about the gospel every month this year. Every month I'm going to listen to one book from the "LDS Gospel Library" and "Mormon Channel" apps on my phone (which will be easier than sitting down and reading them). The books I'm planning on are: January - The Book of Mormon; February - Jesus the Christ; March - Church History in the Fulness of Times; April - The Doctrine & Covenants; May - Daughters in my Kingdom; June - Teachings of the Presidents of the Church (TPC), Joseph Smith; July - TPC Brigham Young; August - TPC George Albert Smith; September - TPC David O. McKay; October - TPC Joseph Fielding Smith; November - TPC Harold B. Lee; December - TPC Spencer W. Kimball. I might change the schedule later in the year - that seems like a lot of "Teachings of the Presidents of the Church" - but I might not.


Some individual projects I want to do this year (that aren't really resolutions) are:

  • Create activity kits for Ellie 
  • Finish organizing all the photos on external hard drives & computers
  • Print our blog books from 2012 & 2013
  • And a bunch more little projects 

So those are my resolutions for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.