Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pregnancy Update - One Month to Go

Hi everyone! Only four weeks to go with this pregnancy. Can you believe it? I really can't. My due date is November 5th, which is officially less than a month away.

Me and Ellie last week. :)

A couple things are going on with the pregnancy at the moment. Here's the rundown:

  • I've had a recurrent UTI/kidney infection for the last three weeks. I am currently on my third round of antibiotics to fight it, and hopefully these ones will do the job. They are stronger than the first two kinds and actually fight the kind of bacteria I have (E. Coli, which the last test showed).
  • I really, really hope the infection doesn't hit for a fourth time. The first time was super uncomfortable, the second time led to that extremely painful day I mentioned in this Captain's Log, and the third time, last Friday, led to the beginning stages of preterm labor. That's the main risk with recurrent UTIs/kidney infections in pregnancy - preterm labor. When the infection hit last Friday, it came back and progressed much quicker than the first two times. This third time, I was in as much pain after three hours as I was after eight hours the time before. And I started to have lots of Braxton-Hicks contractions - one right after another, for hours. Both Jason and I were legitimately concerned that I was in the beginning stages of preterm labor. I went to my doctor's office and got antibiotics as fast as I could, took them, took some pain medicine, drank a bunch of fluid, and laid down on my left side for a couple hours. Luckily, after a couple hours the Braxton-Hicks contractions began to subside and eventually, over the course of the evening, went away. At my doctor's appointment yesterday he was talking about how preterm labor is a risk for these infections, and I told him about the continuous contractions I was having on Friday, and he said he was glad I came in. So I'm a little on edge over that. I don't want to go into preterm labor; I want our baby to stay in there until her due date!
  • The other thing that's a concern at the moment is that I'm measuring small. I'm about the same weight I was at this point with Ellie, and I feel about the same size, but my fundal height (uterus size) is measuring about a week and 1/2 behind what it should be. (I could have had the same measurement last time, but my last doctor never mentioned it.) My doctor is a little bit concerned and is sending me in for an ultrasound next week to measure the baby. I keep going back and forth about being worried about this - worried, because she might be small, and not worried, because I'm about the same size I was with Ellie and while Ellie was a little bit small (7 lbs 1 oz), it was fine. Also, I feel her moving all the time, which is a comfort.

On a positive note, we finished moving into the apartment and now I feel much more prepared for the baby to get here.  So even if she does come early, we'll be ready. But we hope she stays in there for the last couple weeks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.