Friday, September 13, 2013

Weekly Roundup

(P.S. {Which I guess stands for pre-script rather than post-script in this instance} - I am listening to the Mulan song that goes "Let's get down to business!" right now to motivate me to sit down and do this blog post.)

Hi everyone! I hope you've had a good week. We have over here, for the most part. Here's everything that happened this week:
  • Our nephew Ezra was admitted to the hospital. On Monday morning, he had a fever, and when my mom and sister Alyse measured his temperature he was 102 degrees. Long story short, they took him to the ER and he was transferred and admitted to a children's hospital. They did a lot of tests (which came back negative for meningitis and some other scary things) and put him on a lot of medicines, but his temperature got up to 102.8 that first day. Luckily, it came down the next day and the next, and they released him on Wednesday evening. He's doing much better now, back to himself, but scary!
  • I've been looking for a little play kitchen for Ellie. I've been looking on craigslist every day, but so far no luck for pieces in our size/price range. I'm sure one will come up eventually, but no luck yet. 
  • We had dinner on Wednesday night with my dad, stepmom, stepsister, and brother-in-law at Buffalo Wild Wings. Mmm!
  • I am so excited by the news that J.K. Rowling is going to write the screenplay for a series of new films about the Harry Potter wizarding world. They're going to be based on the adventures of Newt Scamander, who (in the Harry Potter books) wrote "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," one of Harry's textbooks at Hogwarts. And that's just awesome! I love "Fanastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (which exists in both Harry's world and in ours) and I think Newt Scamander will be a fun character to follow.  More wizarding world! Yaaaaaaay!!!
  • Jason and I watched Jane Eyre this week. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books ever. It's one that I read and after I finished was like, "So that's why it's a classic!" It's just awesome. Naturally, the book has several movie adaptations. I've seen a couple, and the 2006 Masterpiece Theatre version is by far my favorite. It's the one that best captures all of the most important elements of the story. Good script, good casting, good acting. There's another one that came out more recently  (in 2011, I think) that I really don't care for. It's way too shallow; it lost what the book was really about.
  • Anyway (that bullet point was getting too long, so I'm making another even though it's about the same thing), I've been wanting Jason to watch Jane Eyre with me for quite a while. (I've seen it before; he hasn't.) He hasn't been enthusiastic about the idea, thinking that it was going to be something just like Pride and Prejudice. (Not that he doesn't like Pride and Prejudice. It's just too much talking for him, and not enough action, I think.) But on Monday when he asked what I wanted to do for date night, and I said Jane Eyre, and he (because he's awesome) consented. And he really liked it! It's long, so we actually spread it out over three nights - Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It was wonderful. :) If you're looking for a good movie or book, try Jane Eyre.

  • I'm beginning to get caught back up on my Quiet Book Blog. I let a lot of stuff build up in my email inbox during August, but this week I really worked on getting all the new submissions into their own posts. So, new quiet books will be posting three times a week for the next month at least! It's nice to feel more on top of things.

And that's all I can think of for our weekly roundup this week! I'd love to hear what you've been up to, too. And what you think about the new J.K. Rowling movies.

2 comments:

  1. so...have you thought about refinishing an old TV cabinet for Ellie's play kitchen?? I know it would be a lot of work, but so cute if you're up for it. Something like this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/459437599456298602/

    anyway...fun to hear what you guys are up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about that! I have like 10 DIY play kitchens pinned to one of my boards. But since we might be moving someplace far away next summer (if Jason gets accepted to PA school this year), I don't know if it'd be worth the time & effort, because we'd probably have to leave it behind. But it is an option!

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.