Friday, September 27, 2013

Captain's Log, Week 179

So, you can see that the "Weekly Roundup" I've been doing for the last couple weeks has a new name. I mentioned last time that I wanted to think of a new one, because I didn't like "Weekly Roundup." Well, as I started writing this post I decided to sit down and brainstorm and think of a new one. Here is my real, actual brainstorm:

Weekly Roundup name brainstorm:
Weekly Roundup (Boring and generic)
Weekly Wrap-up (Sounds like a news program)
Regularly Occurring Bullet Point List of Events That Have Recently Taken Place or Are In Progress (Heh heh heh. I like this one.)
Thomas Roundup (Bleh)
Around the House (Except I can't use that one, because it'd totally be stealing it from my friend Jill)
We've Been Up To... (Sentence fragment. And I hate dangling the dangling "...")
Thomas Travels (eh, we don't really go anywhere. It'd be metaphorical, and wouldn't account for the fact that half the bullet points are just my random, rambling thoughts)
11 o'clock Thoughts (I like this one because it has meaning to me personally. But it wouldn't have meaning to anyone else, and it doesn't really make sense in the context of this weekly feature. But it would have been a good overall blog name, I suppose, if when I started my blog "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" hadn't so easily come to mind.)
I Give Up (No. But that's how I feel right now. My mind feels empty of any ideas.)
Keep Trying (Okay self.)

Okay, time to hit up Thesaurus.com...
Captain's Log, Week ___ (Oooh, I really like this one actually.)(You might be wondering how I got "Captain's Log" from a thesaurus. When I typed in "weekly," "log" came up as a synonym, and that immediately reminded me of "Captain's Log," because of this funny note from my friend Tyler Abbott from years ago, and also because Jason and I just watched an episode of Star Trek {The first time we watched one ever. I'll can explain! And I will below.}, and using it just strikes me as very amusing.)

The more I think about "Captain's Log," the more I like it, so Captain's Log it is! And the week isn't a made up number, it's actually the number of weeks Jason and I have been married. (Which works out perfectly, because we got married on a Friday and these posts are on Fridays. Lucky coincidence.) This is officially the Captain's Log, Week 179. Here's what we've been up to:

  • Not much. I got sick this week, and Tuesday was actually a very physically painful day for me. (As in, so painful that at the worst point I could barely crawl across the floor. Thanks, kidney infection.) I got antibiotics from my doctor and I've been getting better since then, but it definitely took me out of commission. Ellie's still got her little, occasional cough, but it seems to be almost gone.
  • Ellie and I watched The Lion King everyday this week. Sometimes twice. When she wants to watch it, she starts getting excited and asking for "Animals! Lions? Lions?" It makes me really happy, because I love The Lion King. Did you know it's one of my favorite movies of all time? It was my favorite movie throughout my whole childhood, ever since I saw it when it first came out, and then when Lord of the Rings came out those movies joined it as my top favorite movies. So, those are my favorite movies of all time: The Lion King and The Lord of the Rings.
  • Did you know that James Earl Jones is the voice of Mufasa in The Lion King? He's Darth Vader! Mufasa and Darth Vader are voiced by the same person! I found that out this week and thought it was really cool. And once I started thinking about his voice, I was pretty sure he was Hercule's owner from The Sandlot, and I looked it up, and he is! It makes me happy for some reason that he's those three guys - Hercule's owner, Darth Vader, and Mufasa.
  • Ellie says some of the character's names when we see them in the movie - Simba, Zazu, some of the other ones - but I think my favorite is what she calls Scar. She pronounces the other names correctly, but she calls him "Sard." And it makes me smile.
  • Jason and I watched "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" this week. Yes, the one that came out in 1979. It was booooring. They had a ton of these musical interludes where nothing happened, you just watched spaceships float slowly around. We started fast-forwarding through those parts after a while. I mean, do we really have to watch fifteen minutes of Kirk floating from one spaceship to another, while old-timey "Wow! This is amazing! Look how amazing our computer graphics are!" music plays?
  • After we finished the movie, we couldn't figure out how Star Trek ever became so popular. So we watched an episode of the TV show (which was made ten years before the movie), and it made more sense. A lot more stuff happened in the one-hour TV show (which we also fast-forwarded through a lot of) than in the two-hour movie. It made more sense how it could be popular.
  • And to explain further, we watched both of those things (the Star Trek movie and one of the TV episodes) because we watched Star Trek: Into Darkness last week, and we just wanted to understand how the whole Star Trek following started.
  • So, all of these bullet points are about things we watched this week. I told you we haven't been up to much. :)
  • We move into our new apartment on Monday. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!
  • And finally, the General Relief Society Meeting is tomorrow! Yaaaay! It's the first session of our church's semi-annual General Conference. If you want to check it out, you can click here:
 Watch the General Relief Society Meeting

Or just come back here to this page tomorrow night!


1 comment:

  1. I love the new title. I actually have been feeling blah around our title...but I haven't come up with anything else. I mostly feel like it needs some difference each week, like a number, so I don't have a gazillion posts of the same title. Love the weeks you've been married idea. And boo for kidney infection! But yay for The Lion King and moving! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.