Friday, March 1, 2013

Happiness Project, Month 3: Attitude


If you can believe it, it's already the third month of the year! I'm glad that it's actually March now; my brain has been so confused the last couple weeks trying to remember if it was February or March. I don't know why; I just felt caught in the middle between the two months. Well, we've eliminated February, so my brain can finally rest.

Anyway, on to the resolutions!

March: Month 3
Theme: Attitude

Main goal: To be more grateful, selfless, and optimistic.

Individual resolutions:
  • Sing a hymn every day.
  • Forgive.
  • Dig deep.
  • Have at least one prayer a day focus solely on the things I am grateful for.
  • Explore LDS.org more - learn how to use all of its resources.

This month is all about working on my emotional control and fighting against "the natural man."

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."  - Mosiah 3:19

Over the last few years, I have let myself become emotionally lazy. In high school, I had amazing emotional control. I fought really hard against "the natural man." If I was angry, I would work hard to be understanding and forgiving. If I was sad, I would work hard to be more optimistic. If I had unkind thoughts about someone, I would work hard to think of their good qualities and to love them. It was a constant, never-ending battle - but I fought.

All of that emotional work is hard. Work is, after all, work. And I've noticed that in the last couple years I've been letting myself take the easy route instead of the good one. And it's conscious, too - I know what I'm doing when I'm doing it. It's a choice. If I'm annoyed at something, I'll have the thought - should I fight this, or just feel annoyed? And I've been letting myself just be annoyed. I've been letting myself choose to just give in and feel the emotion rather than fight it and work to become a better person.

I need to stop letting myself take the easy route, and work once again on controlling and conquering my emotions.  I hope my resolutions this month will help me accomplish that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.