Monday, January 14, 2013

My Mottos for this year

Hi everyone! Sorry, I'm a bit behind on blogging right now. I've had two separate family members tell me they need me to post more pictures of Ellie, so I have a couple picture-heavy posts on the way.  But in the meantime, I wanted to give you a happiness project update. It's going good so far; I've been able to keep my resolutions. I just decided yesterday though to move my resolutions chart from my wall to my bedside table; although I've been checking the boxes every couple days, I haven't been reviewing it every night, and reviewing it every night is key to remembering my resolutions during the day. So, I moved it.

I also want to mention the mottos I have for myself this year to help motivate me. Most of them are actually sayings I've had for myself for a while, but bringing them all together and defining them as my "mottos" seems to give them more power.

In The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin has a couple lists of what she calls her "splendid truths" and her "personal commandments." These include statements such as "Act the way I want to feel" and "I can build a happy life only on the foundation of my own nature." (If you'd like to see the rest of her personal commandments or splendid truths, click here.) As she was working on keeping her resolutions, she would remember these things to help her keep them.

So, my personal mottos are:

What would the old Jocelyn do?
What would future Jocelyn do?
Just pick up a book and start reading.
Eating healthy begets eating healthy.
Remember the state of your mind reflects the state of your room.
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I have "What would the old Jocelyn do?" and "What would future Jocelyn do?" because there are things that I know I was better at in the past and a lot of things that I hope to be better at in the future. Thinking of my ideal self helps me make the choices that I want myself to make.

I have "Just pick up a book and start reading" because while I love to read, I haven't been reading very much lately and it's because I've subconsciously been waiting to have a big chunk of free time where I can sit down and read. Well, I'm never going to have some huge chunk of free time, and so I just need to start reading in my spare moments. This motto has already helped me read two books this year.

My motto "Eating healthy begets eating healthy" is true for me. When I make a healthy food choice (instead of whatever unhealthy thing I want to eat), I often want to eat more healthy things. If I can just get over the hurdle of choosing the first healthy food item, the others are a lot easier.

"Remember the state of your mind reflects the state of your room" is also true for me. I thought of this a long time ago when I realized that the messier my bedroom is, the more scatter-brained, anxious, an unfocused my brain is. When my room is clean, my thoughts can free and more focused. This could very likely because I have ADD, and this is one manifestation of it; any way, it's important for me to keep my environment clean to keep myself at my most peaceful and productive self.

And "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." This is one of the things Gretchen Rubin says in The Happiness Project (and I believe she's even quoting someone else), and while I like it, I wasn't planning on having it be one of my mottos for the year. But then this morning I was thinking about writing this blog post, and I was pushing it off, because I didn't feel like I could write the perfect blog post right then. And then this thought - "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good," popped into my head, and I was able to get myself working on this blog post. I think this actually will be really helpful for me this year. So, into the list of mottos it goes.

So, those are the mottos I have right now. I might add more as the year goes one. These have already been helpful to me, and I'm sure will be helpful to me this year as I work on keeping my resolutions.

Do you have any phrases that you use to motivate yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.