Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Big Secret: Revealed!

Ta-da!

What you are viewing before you, at this very moment, is half of the big surprise I've been working on!

As you can see, I've totally redesigned the blog. And isn't it so much better? I feel like I can finally breathe again. I've been itching to do this for ages. Every time I would come to my blog, I would cringe a little; it just looked so outdated, and kind of claustrophobic. So, taking inspiration from different blogs that I especially like, and getting really good advice from the series of articles here, I've redone it all!

As you can see, I now have stand-alone pages at the top of the blog. These are mostly to help those who are new to the blog to get to know Jason and me a little bit better, as well as to give easier ways to contact me. I also put pictures of our families up, so if I ever reference a family member you can go see who they are. :)

The sidebar is also really different, too. I have links to where you can find me on Pinterest, Goodreads, and Mormon.org, as well as a new Facebook page for this blog.

This was a big project, but I enjoyed it. I not only learned about blog design in general (like white space, using a limited number of fonts and colors, etc.), I got down into the nitty gritty and learned about HTML and CSS, too. Using those two things really helped me get the blog exactly how I wanted it.

The redesign isn't entirely complete; the header will be changing in the next couple weeks. As you might have noticed, it's missing its title, "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows." I'll likely be changing the picture, and when I do, I'll add the title back. So look for that in the near future.

Okay, okay, now that we've covered all that, it's time to introduce you to my next surprise...



I've been working on this since even before the blog design. This is the big secret that I was talking about here that I said I was really, really excited about. And I am really excited about it.

What this is is a blog dedicated entirely to quiet books. As you may remember, I made a quiet book last year and posted about it here on this blog. Since then, I have gotten literally tens of thousands - actually closer to 120,000 - views specifically on the quiet book pages.

I had the idea a couple weeks ago of starting a blog that would focus solely on quiet books. When I was researching quiet books and trying to put it all together, I had a lot of questions that I couldn't really find an answer to. This blog will hopefully provide those answers to those looking to make a quiet book. I'm hoping to regularly feature different quiet books made by different people, along with answers to interview questions about how they made the book.

Even if you aren't planning on making a quiet book, please go check it out! I would love to hear what you think. You can get there by clicking on the picture above or by following this address: quietbookblog.blogspot.com.

So yeah! Those are the big surprises that I've been working on. :)

1 comment:

  1. It looks AWESOME! good job! it makes me want to redo my blog because mine has always looked outdated...but I also don't care too much about my blog. I really like yours!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.