Sunday, September 16, 2012

Keeping Me Accountable

So, a long time ago I told you about how I wanted to share a special Sunday message each week on Sunday. And I was pretty good about it for while, posting different church videos that I especially liked or talks that I thought were good. But I was just thinking about it this week, and I realized that I haven't done it in a long time. I want to start doing it again, because, well, I like doing it. Thinking of things to share with you helps me think about things that make me happy, and hopefully when I share them with you they help make you happy, too.

So let me tell you about what I was thinking about today. I was reading an article in this month's Ensign (our church's magazine. Yes, our church has a magazine. Isn't that sweet?). It was Repentance that Brings Conversion, by Elder James B. Martino of the Seventy, and at the end he listed "five practices that can change our lives." He said:

"For both new and old members of the Church, here are five practices that can change our lives. These are commandments of God and will help us remain faithful, even in the face of trials and temptations. If we follow them, these practices will allow the Holy Spirit to continue to strive with us and strengthen us as our testimonies grow:
  1. Hold personal and family scripture study.
  2. Hold personal and family prayer.
  3. Hold family home evening.
  4. Pay an honest tithe.
  5. Serve others by fulfilling Church callings.
If we establish the traditions of a righteous people, we will overcome our weaknesses, progress in our faith, and not fall away."

I really like these five things. They're simple and straightforward and true. Each time I've read them over today, I've been filled with a desire to make sure I'm doing these five things in my life.

And here's where I think you can help me. I need to get better at consistently studying my scriptures everyday, and I think it would be helpful if I had someone to be accountable to. So, you are going to be the ones keeping me accountable! For the next four weeks, I am going to report to you on Sunday whether I studied my scriptures for thirty minutes every day that week. I think it will really help motivate me to make sure I study them. Just like exercise buddies. Except scripture buddies.


So, thank you in advance. I think this is really going to help me. And I'll let you know how I did this week next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.