So, when Jason's mom was here last time, she spoiled us quite a bit. We went shopping for Ellie at Kohl's, and she bought us these (along with a bunch of really cute baby clothes):
That's right, plain white onesies. Jason wanted to get them, because his creative mind could see the possibilities in them. We had to think about it for a while, though, before we really figured out what we wanted to do. And then we just went for it!
Drum roll please......dumdumdumdumdumDUM!
Our custom-made onesies! We had a lot of fun making these. I'll go through and show how we made each one.
First of all, the sun onesie with attached skirt!
Both Jason and I wanted to attach a skirt to at least one of the onesies. Jason had a couple old t-shirts that we could use the fabric from, so I chose a nice yellow one. I cut off the whole bottom to use for the skirt, and then followed the tutorial here to attach it to the onesie.
I then made the sun using fabric from one of the sleeves. I attached it (the circle and the rays) using a zig-zag stitch. (I also used a zig-zag stitch when attaching the skirt to the onesie, to give it more stretch and allow it to slip over Ellie's head easier.)
Next, the cloud/sun/tree onesie!
Jason did this one. He used the design from this Threadless t-shirt. He sketched it out and drew it by hand! He's so dang talented!
Then we have the turtle onesie:
I made this one by making a stencil and using spray fabric paint. First I drew a turtle on paper and then cut it out.
I then attached double-sided tape to the back of the turtle and stuck it on the onesie.
Then I sprayed! I sprayed the front first, waited an hour, then sprayed the back and shoulders. I messed up a little, though; after I sprayed the shoulders I put the onesie down without thinking about it, and several paint drops got on the front. So, if you look at the finished picture, you can see some bigger drops on front. I'll be more cautious next time.
After waiting overnight, I peeled the turtle off. And voila!
Okay, next we have the flower onesie!
This one was really simple. I already had the flowers (made of yellow silk; I made them like a year ago. I made a ton of them. I've been trying to find ways to use them ever since) and I simply sewed them on to the front. Done!
And, last but definitely not least, we have the happy organ onesie!
Jason (of course) did this one as well. He is just so amazing. He got the design from this fellow, and then did it all by hand. He is so amazing! Also, at one point when he was drawing it out, he was like, "Look, it's an organ trail!" (Organ...Oregon...yeah :) ) He also noted that the kidneys should be in the back, but if they were we wouldn't be able to see them. So, everyone, please come to terms with them being in the front. And, one more note, I think the gallbladder is my favorite.
So that's our onesie extravaganza! It was seriously so fun to make them. We still have lots of supplies (we used fabric markers, spray fabric paint, and extra fabric), so we plan to make more in the future. (And, in case you were wondering what the supplies cost: We bought the fabric markers and fabric spray paint from Michael's. We used 40% off coupons we printed off from online, so the total was something like $13. Not bad at all.) We already went to Deseret Industries (Utah's version of Goodwill) and got some white onesies that we can decorate that were only 50 cents each.
Seriously, we had so much fun!