Monday, December 12, 2011

Really Ouchy Day

So, I apologize in advance for this post. I usually try not to complain, but today was rough and I just want to talk about it.

So, today I'm 39 weeks and 1 day along, and man it was a painful day. First of all, I slept pretty badly last night. I woke up so many times with these painful contractions, and just couldn't seem to get comfortable. I actually took a warm bath almost as soon as I got up this morning, just to try to help my back, which was hurting pretty bad. It did seem to help for a little while.

Then I had my 39-week doctor's appointment at 10:15. All my vitals are good (yay!) but the doctor did say that I don't look like I'm going to deliver in the next week, and that I'll probably be back in the office next Monday. :( This stresses me out a bit, because we're moving to St. George on the 29th (two and a half weeks from now!), and I'd really like our baby to be a couple days older before we go. But, nothing we can really do about when my body's ready to have her.

After I got back from the doctor's office, my whole body just got more and more painful. The pain was especially centered on my lower back, and also on the sides of my abdomen. Every move I made hurt so bad. It didn't take very long for me to end up back in bed, hoping lying down would help. It didn't. No position was comfortable, and readjusting even a little bit caused me pretty bad pain. Finally, after quite a while (and a heat compress that Jason got me), I was able to relax enough to fall asleep. I woke up a lot of times over the next couple hours as I shifted positions, which hurt, but it was better than it was before.

Jason left to go take a final in the afternoon, and got back about 4 o'clock. When he got back, we realized that I probably had a fever. My body was super hot, and I was pretty light-headed and woozy. I also felt really weak, like you do after you've been sick for a couple days. We called my doctor's office, and I talked to the nurse. I told her everything that had been going on all day, and she asked if I could find a thermometer to take my temperature. We went to the grocery store and got one, and I measured in at 99.5 degrees (usually I'm about 97.6). The nurse called me back, and gave me instructions about what to do if various symptoms got worse, and asked that I call in and check up with her tomorrow. She also told me to take tylenol to bring the fever down. Jason found some in our first aid kit, and I think my temperature has gone down since I took it a couple hours ago. My back pain is doing better, too. It's still more painful to move around than normal, but it's much better than it was earlier when I basically felt crippled. So that's good. I'm really hoping I'll be able to sleep better tonight.

Anyway, sorry again about the downer post. It was just a hard day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. :)

5 comments:

  1. Jocelyn, my doctor examined me mere hours before I went into labor and told me I wasn't anywhere close and not to expect labor anytime soon. I went into labor 12 hours later - so don't get discouraged!! They can't really know (although I wish they could know...) you sound close to labor to me, my gosh! but regardless.. I'm so sorry about your painful day, that sounded pure awful! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the only relief I felt was from complaining ;) You're so close to the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure sounds like labor to me! Hang in there...it's all worth it I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Barb and Julie...sounds like your in the first stage of labor. Maybe not, but heck...all that pain?! hmmmm...I guess we shall see. Keep us posted cutie! love ya =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you had a painful night and day. It sounds like back labor to me. I'll hope she will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.