Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Going to bed early

Do you guys have daily emotional cycles? I do. I'm always more optimistic in the morning, and I always get more depressed and anxious at night. I have a lot more negative thoughts about myself and everything else at night. It starts kicking in about eleven PM, and continues until I fall asleep. The logical solution (and it works) is to go to bed earlier. When I go to bed early, I avoid this whole nasty cycle.

The problem is, I'm a night owl. I don't get tired at bedtime. In fact, it's 12:30 AM as I'm typing this, and I'm completely awake. I usually don't feel tired until one or two o'clock. At good bedtimes, like 10:00 or earlier, I'm not tired in the least bit. I'm totally awake, and don't want to go to bed. Ten-thirty seems to be the very earliest I can force myself to bed.

It's ridiculous, because I know, logically, that I'll be happier when I wake up, so I should just go to sleep and end my cycle of negative thoughts. I guess it's complicated by the fact that I have a lot of nightmares, so I don't want to go to sleep because I don't feel like it's going to be restful.

I hope I can get better at this when I graduate. Honestly, going to bed earlier would help so much. It really does help me avoid my nightly emotional negativeness. I don't run into it if I go to bed early. I just stay normal, and fall asleep normal.

Sigh. I'll get better at this someday.

3 comments:

  1. Just try waking up earlier...you will get tired earlier in the day and then you'll be ready for bed earlier. I was never as much of a night owl as you, but definitely more than I am now. We wake up fairly early in the morning and I start getting tired now around 9 and am completely ready for bed at 10 or 10:30 (this might also be because of my current condition which requires a lot more sleep :)). maybe just try it out for a week or so and see if it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew you had nightmares. Funny you say that...ok NOT funny but I mean what a coincidence because just the other day I was talking to Austin about how I feel like I am the only one who has nightmares. Actually lately I have not had any but its weird...sometimes for a couple weeks I go through what I call "nightmare weeks" so bizarre and not fun...I don't even watch scary movies I cant even handle CSI! But my point to this post is that you are NORMAL and I know of many many people that deal with this...
    BUT maybe you should try some of my oils...one helps with sleep and the other with racing thoughts...Austin and I want to have you, Jason ,Alyse over for dinner sometime soon so maybe I can give you some then to try =) Love ya Jocelyn =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant many many people who deal with sleep problems...not nightmares..

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.