Thursday, January 6, 2011

Third Day Thursday

Haha, sorry, I know the title is a lame pun. First I was going to write "Third day of Classes," and then I thought to myself, "No, that's boring. I should write something about it being Thursday (which, we all know, is more exciting)," and then I came up with a combination of the two that's somehow less than the sum of the parts.

Annnyway, life is going good. Today, as you definitely already know by now, is Thursday, and it is also the third day of classes. I'm actually really excited about my class spread this semester. Since Tuesday, I have been to Evolutionary Biology, Polynesian Dance, Self Defense, Infant Development, Beginning Piano, Intro to Marine Biology, and Foundations of Developmentally Appropriate Practices.

Okay, first of all I want to say that Polynesian Dance is a workout. Before we started the class I had visions in my head of all of us standing on the beach in grass skirts with soft Hawaiian music playing and us gently waving our arms and swinging our hips. Not so, my friends. Not so. It is hard stuff. I don't know how the islanders make it look so easy! Our teacher is this wonderfully cheerful Hawaiian woman who is always smiling and laughing, and I like her a lot. But man! We're starting with Hawaiian dancing (we'll also cover Tongan, Somoan, New Zealander, and a couple other countries) and you have to crouch down the entire time, doing tons of different foot movements while your legs are like, "What the heck are you doing! Stand up! Stand up! This hurts!" I'm in the class with Jason, my sister Alyse, and Alyse's roommate Lars, and I think it's going to be really fun. Plus I'm going to have buff legs.

Secondly, I think Self Defense is going to be awesome. I'm almost scared to take it, but that's why I need to take it. I really want to know how to defend myself in case I'm ever attacked. Our teacher seems really great, and the stuff we went over yesterday totally makes sense and is already helpful. I'll totally post new things I learn from that class on here as I learn them.

I'm also very excited for Beginning Piano. Again, I really like my teacher (I'm noticing a trend here...). She's a masters student in Piano performance and has been teaching this class for two and half years. I'm taking piano because I took lessons when I was a lot younger, but I quit in middle school and now I want to improve. I'm okay at the basics, but trust me, I have lots of room for improvement. So I'm excited. It's a small class with just 16 people (because our classroom only has 16 pianos (only sixteen pianos? what am I saying? that's a lot of pianos)) and every piano (actually, they're super nice keyboards that totally look like pianos) has headphones that you wear so that you can hear yourself, and you can hear the teacher, but no one else can hear you so they can't hear you mess up. That's definitely confidence building. Our teacher said that this is a good setup for adults to learn piano, and I can see why. Less pressure, but you get the same amount of practice.

Evolutionary Biology also seems like it's going to be really cool. It's the capstone class for my major (Integrative Biology) and today (and all next week) we'll be talking about how evolution fits in with our faith and what we believe. It's all very interesting. I'll probably have a post on that too.

Foundations of Developmentally Appropriate Practices is a class where we learn how to appropriately teach/interact with young children based on their developmental level (i.e., how you would interact with a two year old vs. a three year old vs. a five year old). Our teacher totally reminds me of Robert De Niro's character from Stardust - you know that captain man? His voice is a bit higher than most men's and he gesticulates with his hands a lot (I think because he teachers preschoolers) and he even looks like Robert De Niro. I like him a ton. Seriously. He seems like the nicest man ever.

Anyway, that's pretty much all my classes for now. I still haven't been to cooking or my evolutionary biology lab. But yeah! I'm excited for this semester.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a full load of classes! But they all sound great! Good luck! I hope you have an awesome semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally laughed when I read the part about you guys doing the dancing. Good luck! I'm going to want to see your dance moves next time you come visit!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.