Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The First Day of my Last Semester

I approach this day with apprehension. Today is the first day of my last semester. When that last week of April comes, I will graduate from BYU.

I just don't know what to think or how to feel about that. To tell the truth, I'm a bit nervous. I've been in school my whole life since I was four, (that's eighteen years! It's all I've been doing for eighteen years!) and now I can count the number of months I have left in formal education on one hand.

Part of me is relieved, because I won't have any more projects, any more papers, any more tests. My time will not be promised to a classroom chair; I will have freedom to organize my days as I wish.

And yet…school! What else have I ever done but school? In many ways, school is what defines me. It's what I'm good at. It's what I'm used to, it's what I know.

And in four months, I'll be done.

One thing I discovered yesterday, though, is that if I think about it slightly differently, I kind of get excited for April. I tell myself not that I am graduating, but that summer is starting. Summer, the dream of every elementary school child. Summer, the days of freedom and sunshine and choosing exactly whatever you want to do.

So, in four months I graduate.

And then I will begin my summer.

1 comment:

  1. yay!!! how exciting! you know there is always graduate school...=) ha ha.
    BUT yay for summer. i love summer. especially right now with the super cold air! thinking of summer makes me so HAPPY! i am so happy for you too jocelyn!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.