Thursday, October 14, 2010

Twenty-two


Okay, sometimes I'm a bit silly. I don't mean to be, but it just happens. Like, for instance, three minutes ago. Jason and I were here in our apartment; he just got back from his class, and it's my birthday, and he's already said happy birthday a couple times today, but he was like "Happy birthday!" again, and I was like,

"I'm twenty-two!" In a It's-my-birthday! voice.

And then,
"I'm twenty-two." In I-just-realized-that-that-statement-is-actually-real-and-I'm-actually-twenty-two-years-old voice.

And then, "I'm twenty-two." In holy-cow-that's-a-big-number voice. "I'm old."

Jason: "No you're not."

"Yes, I am. I'm old. Twenty-two is old." (And really, it is. That's older than I've ever been before.)

And Jason tried to comfort me and was like, "Nah, twenty-three is where it's really old." But I didn't believe him, because that is a bold-faced lie, because twenty-two is just so dang old, so I was like, "No, it's not." And then, thoughtfully, "I'm an even number now. I haven't been an even number forever."

(Jason, teasingly): "Yeah, since you were like, twenty."

Me: "Yeah, that was forever ago."

Jason, trying to make me see reason, (because these things were just last year): "You were twenty when I got back from my mission. And when we got engaged."

"You're right…" (thoughtfully again, because twenty years old just sounds so small) "I was so young."

And then we both started laughing.

The end.

Happy October 14th!


6 comments:

  1. You are so cute! :) I had one of those moments a few weeks ago cause there were two girls in front of me talking and one said, "well I'm not even 20 yet" and in my head I thought, "hey me too!" and then it hit me that I am actually 21! It was a really weird moment and I felt old. And it is really really weird for me to think that I got married when I was 19, because it does sound so young, even though it was only a little over a year ago. Time is just weird huh? Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this every year. I have to repeat to myself how old I am and it's just so weird to keep getting older. I'm still weirded out that I am 23! That's almost 25, which is almost 30!! Haha. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I know Jason will make it very special for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay -- You guys are ALL just babies! I remember when I turned 30 (that used to be very old, but now it's not!) and I told my 90 year old great grandma that I felt old. She told me that I was still just a baby. Old people know a lot of things (you know -- older and wiser), and she assured me that 30 was still part of infancy. At 22 you are basically an embryo. Enjoy every second of your beautiful, young life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're cute.

    And I'm 24... so stop saying you're old...

    'cause then I'm in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this made me laugh! I can hear your intonation and everything :) I love you.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts.